The Power of Peers
“True peer advantage is an experience like no other.” – Marshall Goldsmith, #1 NYT best-selling author of Triggers, MOJO and What Got You Here Won’t Get You There
Most leaders have experienced the “lonely at the top” phenomenon. But it doesn’t have to be that way. The company we keep that often determines the level of personal growth and professional success we achieve in life. Even when we’re at the top of the ladder. Especially when we’re at the top of the ladder.
CEOs, owners and business leaders in a peer group provide value to one another that they can’t find anywhere else. What does it take to make it work well?
- The right peers – I lead several groups of carefully-chosen CEO’s and leaders who gather monthly to learn, grow and help each other. All are lifelong learners, smart, fun, generous and kind. All lead with heart and soul.
- A safe environment – Safety is a tricky thing. Easier said than done. But I strive to create an environment of confidentiality, trust, vulnerability, accountability and fun (it has to be fun!)… and magic happens.
- An effective leader – Maximizing the potential of any group depends on great leadership, and I give it my all. From bringing in great speakers, to facilitating interesting exercises that stretch minds and hearts, to processing challenges and opportunities with great care, I lead my groups to be high-performing teams and infuse our meetings with fun and learning.
- Designed content and interaction – The problem with most groups and gatherings is that they are not intentionally designed and led. Success is left up to chance, and often people leave with a feeling of wasted time. This never happens in my group. Much care and thought goes into the planning of each meeting. Conversations aren’t left up to chance – they are curated and directed to what really matters to help members achieve their goals.
- Accountability – Discussions are nice, but they don’t necessarily create decisions or execution. Accountability does. And that’s where a peer group is more powerful than just about anything else – members expect each other to do what they say they will do. Priceless, effective, empowering.
Vistage is the world’s leading executive peer organization with over 20,000 members in 16 countries, and I’m proud to be a Vistage Chair. As a Chair, I convene monthly meetings of business leaders, meet individually with each member during the month (CEO groups), and bring in expert speakers. I lead two CEO groups, and one Key group (with key executives and small business owners).
- the monthly group experience
- connectivity to other members between meetings
- one-on-one executive coaching with me (CEO groups)
- expert speakers who lead workshops for our small intimate groups
- access to the best networking in the world with 20,000 other CEO’s/leaders
- exclusive resources such as C-level webinars, best practices and access to VIP benefits
A short video about the Vistage Experience
Are we a good fit?
I look for members who are:
- kind, fun and smart – in that order
- lifelong learners, and eager to grow as leaders and men/women
- trusting and trustworthy
- willing to play the big game – bring their biggest challenges and opportunities
- able to be fully present – on time, on purpose, no distractions
- carefrontational – able to confront their peers (and themselves) with honesty and care
If you’re a good fit for one of my Vistage groups, I will apply my best effort, energy and care to help you – personally and professionally. I only work with people who I would be thrilled to have as close personal friends, so my work/care is genuine. And my groups are filled with remarkable people.
If you lead an organization and want to continually push yourself to be better, and do it with a group of peers – in an environment that is supportive and fun, and yet hard-hitting and pragmatic, let’s talk.